Moving list Breaks column settings

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:28 PM

This is a great tool but unfortunately I can't move lists between different farms or change the URL of a Web Application without breaking the custom columns.  We'll be changing the URL of one of our SharePoint web applications here and every list that uses this feature breaks as a result because the columns are configured to retrieve other lists with absolute URLs instead of relative ones.  I can't edit the column settings after the change without getting an error and if I delete the column I lose all the metadata in my list associated with it. 

Can anyone offer help or suggestions? 

Jun 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM

I see many others are having my issue (Described above) so I thought I'd share what I did as a workaround to fix this.  You need to use this custom solution instead: http://spcd.codeplex.com/  This javascript method of doing the filtered drop-down will let you copy the data from your current read-only columns and paste them into these new lookup columns.  It also uses relative URL links when you specify the location of the script in the web part you add so it's "migration proof".  You also don't need to install any solutions using this other method because it just references a script that you upload to a document library somewhere on your site. 

Hopefully this helps someone else having this problem!  This project (SharePoint Cascading Drop Down list (with Filter)) seems to be abandoned. 

Developer
Nov 9, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Sadly I think you are right. The latest source code is also flawed and almost seems like it was deliberately sabotaged.

Such a pity because a server-side solution is always preferable. So much potential wasted. :(

Coordinator
Apr 17, 2013 at 2:52 AM
Hi Everyone,

My apologies for my extended absence. I've been completely out-of-sync with this project working on other things, and it will take me some time to come up to speed with all the discussions happening on this project.

I realize this is outdated code and would need to be made compatible with the latest version of SharePoint. If anyone has tested code that is available, please connect with me and I can have the code uploaded as part of this project.


Thanks,
Sarith