DataBinding: 'System.Data.DataRowView' does not contain a property with the name...

May 1, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Edited May 1, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Hello,

I am by no means a sharepoint expert but I was able to get this installed (seemingly) and running. If I recreate the EXACT example of the Continent/Country/City dropdowns, I can get this to work perfectly. What I want to do is hook this up to some lists that are already created on a different site but I keep getting the "DataBinding: 'System.Data.DataRowView' does not contain a property with the name..." error.

So I backed things up a little and created a little more complex database-like set of lists of the Continent/Country/City example to see if I could get this to work.

The list for Continent has ContinentID and ContinentName.
The list for Country has CountryID, ContinentLink, and CountryName.
The list for City has CityID, CityName, and CountryLink.

The CountryLink in the City list points to the CountryID back in the Counrty list.
The ContinentLink in the Country file has the ContinentID in the Continent list.

I created a cascading dropdown with a column name of TestContinent
Name = TestContinent
Parent Name = null
Child Name = TestCountry
List Name = TestContinent
Column For Value = ContinentID
Column For Text = ContinentName

In the Column to join to parent and column to filter should be nothing so I just put in ID - show all in select operator and nothing in value to filter.

The next list is called TestCountry
Name=TestCountry
Parent Name = TestContinent
Child Name = TestCity
List Name = TestCountry
Column For Value = CountryID
Column For Text = CountryName
Column to Join to Parent = ContinentLink

The rest of the items are set to null

The next column is TestCity
Name=TestCity
Parent Name = TestCountry
Child Name = null
List Name = TestCity
Column for Value = CountryLink
Column for Text = CityName
Column to Join to Parent = CountryLink

null for the rest for the rest.

When I try to create one I get...
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.Exception: DataBinding: 'System.Data.DataRowView' does not contain a property with the name 'ContinentID'.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.  

Stack Trace: 

[Exception: DataBinding: 'System.Data.DataRowView' does not contain a property with the name 'ContinentID'.]
   Stoneshare.CascadingDropDown.WithFilter.CascadingDropDownListFieldControlWithFilter.CreateChildControls() +657
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +87
   Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.BaseFieldControl.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +176
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +141
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627

If anybody has any ideas on why this is happning it is GREATLY appreciated!

TIA

Bryan
May 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Ok - I got it working. I basically just simplified the lists that the dropdown's are pulling off of to not look so databasey.

Thanks.
Bryan