Trouble with Installation

May 28, 2009 at 2:50 PM
Hi guys, we thought we had successfully deployed the solution (at least that's what the script told us) but we didn't get the cascading lookup feature. In other words - everything went fine but there is no cascading... option in Sharepoint. Please can you help us on that issue. Here is what we did (including IISRESET afterwards) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\BIN\stsadm.exe" -o addsolution -filename .\Stoneshare.CascadingDropDown.WithFilter.wsp "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\BIN\stsadm.exe" -o deploysolution -name Stoneshare.CascadingDropDown.WithFilter.wsp -immediate -url http://moss -allowgacdeployment -allowCasPolicies "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\BIN\stsadm.exe" -o execadmsvcjobs pause Thank you in advance for your help. Kind regards lidschi2000.
Coordinator
May 28, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Hi lidschi2000,

When you add and deploy the solution, it will not appear as a site feature or a site collection feature. You will see the new column type automatically when you create a new column. Hope this helps. Please let me know if this solves the problem.

Regards,

Sarith

May 28, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Hello saritsircar,

thank you very much for you quick answer. Although we did as told, we didn't see the new column. Do you have an installer ready that we could use?

Thanks again and kind regards

lidschi2000

Coordinator
May 29, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Hi,

I'm in a bit of a hurry - I've uploaded an installer as a patch. Please download the .zip file, extract, and run the the setup.exe.

Regards,

Sarith

May 29, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Hello,

again - thank you very much for your fast response. We used the installer and in Central Admin the solution is deployed to our MOSS installation, but we don't get the opton for cascading list in any library or custom list. Probably there is nothing more we can do but is there anything we're missing (anything that you have to do besides installing and deploying the solution)?

We are using MOSS 2007 (english version) with SP2 and all patches on a windows server 2003 R2 64bit

Thanks again
lidschi2000

Jun 8, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Hi Sarith

I have installed the solution using you're installer and I am still getting the problem as lidschi2000.
Everything installs successfully. I check in CA and it shows the solution deployed to my web application.
I go to my existing site on the web application and create a new list.
When I create a column the cascading lookup field option is NOT displayed!

I am using MOSS 2007.

Any idea what could be causing this? Could it have to do with the fact that the solution is not deployed Globally?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Dan

Coordinator
Jun 10, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Hi lidschi, Dan

Sorry for the delayed response. Was travelling with no access to this site.

W.r.t the column type not showing up when creating a new column, let me do some investigation on my dev env and get back in a day or two.

Cheers,

Sarith

Coordinator
Jun 10, 2009 at 1:14 PM

@ Dan: Can you please give me details of the env on which you have this installed? Server OS, SP etc.

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jun 15, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Hi,

The problem reported earlier was due to a silly mistake - The *.ascx and fldtypes_*.xml files were not copied to the respective CONTROLTEMPLATES and XML folders. You can either manually copy the files from the source or downloaded the latest WSP which I've uploaded in the downloads section.

Cheers,

Sarith

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:12 PM

When using the new installer I get during installation:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

***** ERROR *****
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Mondosoft.k.g.Execute()
   at Mondosoft.k.b(Object , EventArgs )

It also forces me to install on all the web applications.

Coordinator
Jun 16, 2009 at 6:26 AM

Please edit the installer config file (setup.exe.config) using a text editor and change the value from 'true' to 'false' for the key 'RequireDeploymentToAllContentWebApplications':

<add key="RequireDeploymentToAllContentWebApplications" value="false"/>

Jun 16, 2009 at 1:31 PM

That allows me to choose which web applications it installs to; however I still get the following error during the install:

***** ERROR *****
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Mondosoft.k.g.Execute()
   at Mondosoft.k.b(Object , EventArgs )

Thank you.

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:34 PM

I am having the same installation error. After getting the error, solution management shows that the solution is installed but not deployed. I told it to deploy, but don't see the new column type when creating a new column. Tried removing, changing all the parameter in the config and replacing with the new wsp, but no luck.

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:45 AM
Edited Jul 6, 2009 at 7:46 AM

Hey guys,

Ive had the same issue with the installation.  New wsp n everything doesnt work.  The setup comes up with that "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." bit.  however you can go into central admin and deploy that solution in the solution management section.  But yet still doesnt show up when you go to create a new column.  Im thinking there is a possibility that the solution still isnt deploying the xml files and features folder, as there isnt a folder listed in the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\FEATURES". 

I tried deploying the feature with stsadm as well but it doesnt create the feature folder to deploy.

Let me know if anyone gets a work around for this.

Cheers,

Max Power

Jul 7, 2009 at 2:50 AM
Edited Jul 7, 2009 at 3:34 AM

Update:  I found if you restart the server it shows up so you can use it.   However the cascade doesnt work,  do i need to manually add the security in the web.config?

The error its throwing when you go to edit a library item is..

" An unexpected error has occurred. "

Coordinator
Jul 7, 2009 at 7:41 AM

Sorry guys... I've been traveling and have not been able to give this the attention it deserves. I'll review the discussion posts and comments on my blog and will post my feedback in a couple of days. Please bear with my inconsistencies and lack of frequent updates.

Peace,

Sarith

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:21 PM

I too am seeing this error when trying to pull in the cascade. 

The error its throwing when you go to edit a library item is..

" An unexpected error has occurred. "

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Enabling regular ASPX errors in web.config reveals the following when using your lookup:

[Exception: One or more field types are not installed properly. Go to the list settings page to delete these fields.]
Stoneshare.CascadingDropDown.CascadingDropDownListFieldControl.CreateChildControls() +1032
System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +149
Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.BaseFieldControl.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +216
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +66
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +191
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2604
Coordinator
Jul 23, 2009 at 12:06 PM

@sp43t4r:
I've noticed this error comes up when the field names are not properly configured in the SP list. Can you post details of the lists and their fields?

Jul 23, 2009 at 1:56 PM

I have one List entitled Software Packages with the following fields:

Platform Lookup
Binary Single line of text
Version Number Single line of text
Software Single line of text
Project Choice

I have another List entitled Platform with only 1 field:

Platform   - Choice

I want to choose the platform from the Cascading Lookup, then show the available Binaries for that Platform, then show the available versions for that Binary.

I suspect the problem lies with field Platform being a CHOICE.

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Hello,

Are there any updates on this solution?

Thanks.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:57 AM

sarithsircar

Any update?!!  I too have errors during install.  It claims to have rolled back but when we try and install again it says it is already installed.  We used the latest install file and even if we hadn't it thinks it is installed are we can't reinstall.

Coordinator
Oct 29, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Hi tStat,

If you recieve an error during installation using the installer, the installation will automatically roll back. On the next try, you may see an error message that says that it is already installed.

If resetting IIS doesn't help, usually rebooting the server resolves this problem.

Regards,

Sarith

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:30 AM

I also received the following error after making changes to the source code, rebuilding the wsp and then trying to run the installer (with the updated solution):

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.    at Mondosoft.k.g.Execute()    at Mondosoft.k.b(Object , EventArgs )

In noticed that the SolutionId in the setup config file was different to that in the manifest.  From the Sharepoint Solution Installer page (http://www.codeplex.com/sharepointinstaller):

"SolutionId
Specify the GUID of your solution as indicated in the manifest.xml file within your WSP. The installer will need this to detect any existing solution in the SharePoint solution store."

I updated the SolutionId in setup.exe.config to match that in manifest.xml (3526c38c-5dcd-46a8-8f64-5db01237f18c) and the problem no longer occured.

Coordinator
Apr 17, 2013 at 3:56 AM
Hi Everyone,

My apologies for my extended absence. I've been completely out-of-sync with this project working on other things, and it will take me some time to come up to speed with all the discussions happening on this project.

I realize this is outdated code and would need to be made compatible with the latest version of SharePoint. If anyone has tested code that is available, please connect with me and I can have the code uploaded as part of this project.

Thanks,
Sarith